Hope rises for personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, who never dreamt of owning brand new cars, as the acting Inspector General of Police is concluding arrangements with automobile manufacturing companies to realize this.
This is one of the 12-point agenda by the new IGP, Usman Baba to reposition the Force towards achieving optimum service delivery.
According to the programme, police officers will get brand new cars and pay off over 10 to 20 years.
If this is realised, that will be the second time that police officers will be benefitting from such largesse.
The first was during the reign of former military President, Ibrahim Babangida, christened, “The IBB Spirit”, where senior military and senior police officers, were given brand new Peugeot cars.
” Launching of Vehicle Procurement Scheme for police personnel in partnership with Innoson and PAN (Officers to get a new car and pay off over ten – twenty years.), the agenda emphasized.
The statement reads: “The new General Inspector of Police has released his 12 point agenda for quick implementation: 1 Immediate dismantling of road blocks across the federation (You can still encourage officers with few Naira notes when you meet them on the road anyways.)
- Immediate withdrawal of officers attached to private citizens (To open the space for private security companies to thrive).
- Deduction of court awarded damages from the salary of any officer found to have abused human rights.
- Immediate recruitment of 1,500 lawyers with litigation experience to be attached to each police division/area command. They are to give legal fervour to investigations, provide legal advice and serve as police prosecutors.
- Procurement and installation of video recording facilities in all investigation rooms of the Force.
- Building of new laboratories in 36 States and the FCT to analyze DNA, finger prints, blood samples, body fluids and so on.
- Launching of Vehicle Procurement Scheme for police personnel in partnership with Innoson and PAN. (Officers to get a new car and pay off over ten-twenty years.)
- Rapid rehabilitation and restructuring of Police Academies and curriculum.
- Any interstate transfer of officers to be effected with provision of transport and accommodation allowance.
- Provision of two pairs of uniform and boots for all personnel, annually.
- Increased allocation paid directly to each police division to run its operations.
- Bi-monthly inspection and audit of police cells, to be carried out in conjunction with representatives from the local NBA Branch and the Bench.”